snow, skunks, and moose (oh my)

well that's definitely something to be thankful for...no snow. earlier this week i thought it would not be so but we have escaped unscathed. the grass is still more green than yellow and even though most of the trees are naked, we are do okay. it's a mild, sketchy 13 degrees here east of e-town where i am celebrating a quiet thanksgiving with family. koda is chasing squirrels and skunks and whatever else he can find and i have had my lovely fix of starbucks coffee which i have missed a lot since my time in vancouver. the 'coffee binge' in sundre just doesn't do it for me. i guess that would make me a coffee snob.

in a week's time i will hopefully be an advanced wilderness and remote first aider. i'm very excited and hopefully it will only be stepping stone to higher certifications but i'm liking the fact that i can now operate an AED, relocated certain dislocations, and apply traction to some broken bones.

camp is good but there has been a couple instances where i have found myself in precarious positions. the first one would be because of a small black and white creature called a skunk. this skunk, which i fondly refer to as the Antichrist, penned me up in my house for 20 minutes. it sat down and stared at my front door (and me) and stalked menacingly forward any time i attempted to leave the house.

it was also spotted the next day CHASING another staff member for a good 50 metres. the skunk, needless to say, is still at large.

the second situation i found myself in was last week where my dog, koda, was pitching a fit outside on my deck. i came out of the house thinking that the antichrist had returned for a second round with me when i came face to face with a bull moose. My deck is about 5 feet high and his antlers were definetely 3-4 inches taller than me still. He was banging his antlers against the deck where my dog was lunging at him. I could have reached out and touched him. it was a little too close for comfort.

obviously, since you're reading this, i'm alive and survived that experience just fine. well, I'd better go eat pre-cooked turkey dinner from safeway (not my choice, trust me). until next time...

oh yeah, and go vote tomorrow (it just seems like the thing to say).
cort

Comments

  1. phew! those are some giant beasts!
    hope all is well in the readjustment to life at camp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! Moose and Skunk encounter...very exciting. They are welcoming you home I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:49 AM

    Oh gosh! Good thing your okay! Skunks are gross and moose are scary.... I always new there was a good reason to stay away from the wilderness. And that safeway turkey smells SOOOOOOO good.... mmhmm.... : ))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts