All Blacks for the RWC


The moment has arrived! And boy oh boy have I been waiting for it. And really - I am not really too surprised by it. A little in that Sivivatu was left off the short list but that could be due to the fact that he broke his eye socket two weeks ago. Other notables that missed out are Wyatt Crockett, Hosea Gear, and Liam Messam. Crockett's story could have been a cinderella story but in the end I think they took a more mobile and versatile Ben Franks...atleast that's what I think they were thinking. Crockett's a big guy and his work rate is probably higher than Ben's but the Franks brothers can play either side and they're known to be a little more ruthless. Meathead made the cut. Geh - someone was going to have to make it and it's better than De Melmanche.

I think it's pretty clear that Hosea Gear was the bottom of my winger list. I'm glad that I was in agreement with the coaching staff. Liam Messam...well - I think it all makes sense. Adam Thomson was the man that was going to get selected...I think we all saw that one coming. Messam had his chance last weekend and slid out of the game pretty unnoticed. And as far as who is backing up Carter for second five-eights...Some are saying Aaron Cruden should have made the cut but he's too young. Yes, he has a great future - but I think in the long run, Colin Slade will be the better choice. And was Duck ever up for the choosing? EMPHATICALLY NO! He's crap.

I'm pretty happy that Kahui made the cut and gets some game time - even if that means it's against Japan and Canada. I think this next weekend against Australia will shake down a lot of who's playing where and with whom. But I'll talk about that later. I was a bit too optimistic about last weekend. I'm pretty sure that the ABs will seal the deal this weekend. I'll take a lot of joy in watching Cooper get sacked on home turf on the eve of the RWC.

Here's the squad:

The All Blacks squad in position (with province and Test caps in brackets) is:

Forwards:

Hookers
Corey Flynn Canterbury (14)
Andrew Hore Taranaki (54)
Keven Mealamu Auckland (85)

Props
John Afoa Auckland (33)
Ben Franks Tasman (11)
Owen Franks Canterbury (23)
Tony Woodcock North Harbour (75)

Locks
Anthony Boric North Harbour (20)
Brad Thorn Canterbury (51)
Samuel Whitelock Canterbury (17)
Ali Williams Auckland (65)

Loose forwards
Jerome Kaino Auckland (41)
Richie McCaw (capt) Canterbury (97)
Kieran Read Canterbury (31)
Adam Thomson Otago (21)
Victor Vito Wellington (7)


Backs:

Halfbacks

Jimmy Cowan Southland (47)
Andy Ellis Canterbury (20)
Piri Weepu Wellington (48)

First five–eighths
Daniel Carter Canterbury (82)
Colin Slade Canterbury (5)

Midfielders
Richard Kahui Waikato (12)
Ma’a Nonu Wellington (58)
Conrad Smith Wellington (48)
Sonny Bill Williams Canterbury (7)

Outside backs
Israel Dagg Hawke’s Bay (7)
Zac Guildford Hawke’s Bay (6)
Cory Jane Wellington (24)
Mils Muliaina Waikato (97)
Isaia Toeava Auckland (31)

Comments

Popular Posts