Survivor...Season 48?

Part of me is ashamed of the fact that I watch Survivor. It somehow seems like one of those things that you should hide from people. Like smelly feet. Have you ever been over to someone's house and suddenly you get a whiff of smelly feet...and worse yet - you realize that they're YOUR smelly feet. You just want to put your shoes back on so that nobody notices. It's embarrassing - worse that walking out a bathroom with toilet paper stuck to your feet. That's just a whoops. No - smelly feet is a condition that has a number of variables. Hygiene, foot care, fungus, uncared for shoes...it's horrible.

That's what Survivor is like. It's a nasty habit. One that you probably picked up long ago. You don't meet very many "new" Survivor fans. Most of us have been around for a while...and you probably know one that you didn't know was one. Most people who aren't fans will physically turn their nose up at those who are...I'm telling you - it's like there is a stench.

Well - here it is folks. I'm taking those shoes off to air the stench. I "watch" Survivor. I have watched it since...I think season 2 or 3. I don't even know what number we are on. And don't test me...I can't name everywhere it's been filmed and I don't know how many beaches they've destroyed. I can't name all of the winners - just really big moments and my favourite haters and players. I put watch in quotations because these days I skip through almost half of the show. The majority of the chit chat and nattering between players is annoying to me. Most of it is edited in such a way that takes things out of context. I'm mostly interested in the challenges (some of it is valuable for camp) and tribal council. And by Tribal council - I really mean Jeff Probst.

Tribal Council? Yes - the tribe has spoken. Jeff Probst is one of the best hosts EVER! I mean - I like Ally from Biggest Loser and David Salmoni from Expedition Impossible. Apparently the TC's last for hours until the casting crew and Probst have enough to material to work with when creating the show. There is a bit of an assumption on my part that Probst is not on script with all of his questions. It's kind of like Bob Harper from BL...I'm sure they coached him in the beginning with what to say to make the cameras happy but there comes a point where you see true colours come through. Bob is a phenomenal trainer and counsellor. Jeff Probst is a master facilitator. I noticed it more this last season than others on Survivor. His ability to key in on contestants and peel the layers of the game to take what is going on with them and translate it to their lives in the actual world. 

And...It would be a lie to say that I have a minor crush on Ozzy.
I have a major crush on Ozzy.

So when he lost that last challenge and predictably Coach was not "honorable" - well...I knew that Ozzy wouldn't become the comeback kid. I didn't care who won the million. It was very similar to BL this last season. Once it was Antone, John, and Ramon in the final - I didn't really care who won the final prize. I guess that's where this whole thing still kind of stinks. Game players win and alliances will always trump worth. I don't like that message. I don't think you would find many people that would but...as I'm sitting here thinking about it...all of our "fun" games - board games, card games, etc...teach the same thing.

What are we teaching tomorrow's leaders? Do we live the same as we play? Do we live the way that we practice? If the game of survivor  really just mirrors how all of those players live in real life (and I believe that it does)...what does that mean for us? Think of your favourite game that you play ... how do you play? How does the game end? How does my faith walk get reflected in this?

So many questions...and I don't know if I like all of my own answers to them.

Comments

Popular Posts