m2...except it's wednesday

well - considering that it's not monday. m2 doesn't really make sense...but since my random-post-about-anything happened on monday. music gets shifted to now. and mostly because i've had a strong appreciation for this fellow for a long time.

joe purdy.

i first heard of him on grey's anatomy (the city) - which i don't really watch...but i watch for their soundtracks because they use good music. and then the same song ended up on a compilations cd called purely acoustic. i then listened to him heavily about five or so years ago whe
n i was also going through a pete yorn phase. then i decided i'd rock out and follow the likes of nickelback and pink (i'm curling my lip even as i type them - WHAT WAS I THINKING)...the best excuse would be was that it most definitely was a phase...a sorry, shameful, and pitiful phase. okay...pink might have had something going for her. she still has the ability to surprise and anger me which always gets me coming back for more.

but this is not about pink. it's about joe purdy.

so about two years ago, kerry got me hooked on last.fm and i typed in jack johnson as my radio station and started finding all of these beautiful artists who hide away in small pubs to do concerts and whose music isn't often found on the top 40 but who deserve so much more credit than mainstream, public-drive music market...which, in my opinion, is just a meat market. everything looks/sounds the same and you don't really get your money's worth for what you're buying. sure, sure jack johnson is mainstream and dave matthews is mainstream...blah blah blah. but they are artists who also write their own music and produce albums which will surprise you and catch you off guard. those artists are precious and rare in the mainstream world.

but there i go again...rants.
back to joe purdy.
he's got a wicked beard - which may not have ANYTHING to do with his music but i'm learning that most very successful folk and acoustic musicians have large, nasty, fuzzy beards...like they went up north and lived in the mountains or found some out of the way fishing town to write their material. but his voice is strained and quiet but there is a magical quality about it - like he's telling some story from his childhood.
it's peaceful and addictive.

there are a few songs that i find myself getting shivers from the perfect melody or when he just sings with his guitar and there's no back up from his band - when he goes from singing to a near whisper in far away blues. it's beautiful.

i would have to say that at this point julie blue is my favourite album but purdy just released a new album: this american so i'm eager to purchase it and see what other stories mr. joe purdy will tell me.

but i will leave you with this...one of my favourite little songs from julie blue. it's called wash away. enjoy.

.:bear:.

Comments

  1. Yes yes yes yes!!

    I agree with this post completely in that:

    a) I don't follow Grey's Anatomy but man alive do they have ridiculously good soundtracks. Also, the OC and Chuck are two other ones that I follow for good music.

    b) (I'm hanging my head right beside you when it comes to the whole Pink thing. I hear ya)

    c) great beards automatically = great folk music. One day I will get there. One day.

    d) oh yeah, and yes Joe Purdy. My favourite by him is "I Love the Rain Most When it Stops".

    ReplyDelete
  2. truly michael!

    i feel like we need some kind of support group for those trying to break the pink habit.

    remind me to get your autograph when you start growing your beard...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My support group is called "Stop Listening to the Radio and Go Out and Find Music with Depth". So far it's been working, but every once in a while I still have a relapse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. be honest, you really do like watching Grey's...don't you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts