hodge-podge

i am declaring this post a hodge-podge.

i was at Prairie Bible College over the last three days which is why there was no post mid-week. i was recruiting my summer staff...really, hoping that i can snag a couple of Explore students to work in my outtrip programs. it's the first college that we recruit at every year. the beginning of a very busy (for different reasons) and tiring part of the year for me. it's a little funny - i get asked so many times what i could possibly do all winter long at a camp. whenever i go to family gatherings or i have been introduced to someone unrelated to camp - the question always comes up. well - there's up to 6 colleges to recruit at (a whole week in saskatchewan), 5 retreats to run, rentals to facilitate, and schools to speak at...not to mention the teachers' conventions to attend. and somewhere in there i have to take some days off.

i like the change in pace from our dead of December or our chaotic summer and rental season. i like going to the colleges but it means almost 12 days working in a row and not sleeping in my own bed. those are pretty significant things. but the contacts that can be made are invaluable to me and the camp...so it must be done.

when i was recruiting at prairie - becca (assistant program director) and i stayed at keith and jonquil thiessen's house in linden. i love their boys caleb, ethan, and zachary - they have tons of energy and make me laugh. zachary who is in kindergarten said something on the last morning that was cute and profound and awesome.

we were sitting at the table for breakfast and i was mixing my milk and oatmeal and here was the short conversation:

zachary..."Why are you mixing it?"
bear..."Because mixing is important"
zachary..."No it isn't. People are important"
bear..."You're quite right."

such simple and important lessons that we learn from kids.

i'm going to sign off for the day...we have our annual Pond Hockey Tournament at the camp tomorrow and then next week it's our first junior high retreat with my recruiting train leaving the station on sunday for briercrest. here's hoping that we'll have pristine road conditions and lots of staff.

peace out
.:bear:.

f-p-f...

see the morning
save the night
know brilliant eternity



Comments

  1. I like...
    ...that you are blogging often.
    ...that I am blogging often.
    ...that we communicate via blogging.
    ...that we also have a friendship outside of blogging.
    These are all very good things.
    Are you VERY sure that you can't come just a little bit further east?? I hear there's something happening here on February 17th. ;) And yes... I know the answer to this question already. Just thought I'd say that I miss you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts