[ rugby ] Playoff Time!

Well - for most people in Canada - April means the beginning of hockey playoffs. In previous years - it would be the beginning for SuperXV playoffs too. But the introduction of the 15th team in the SuperXV league this year pushed the season a little back and I think that there didn't seem to be an urgency to push players hard every week. Each team had two byes and ample opportunity to take it easy(er) in some games...well - if you were in the top 6 positions. There seemed to be a large chunk of teams that had to fight for the 5th and 6th position.

What wrap-up weekend wouldn't be complete without an upset, a near miss, and the no-hope game? After the dust settled the top six were decided but not before the 2010 defending SuperXIV champions, the Bulls were knocked out in a nail biter by the inconsistent Sharks.

Bulls (23) vs. Sharks (26)
The Sharks have always been threatening this season but never quite found their rhythm. I have to admit - I had written them off half way through the season. Bismark DuPlessi is one of my favourite hookers and they have some pretty solid skill in their backs in players like Terblanche, the youngster Lambie, and Mvovo. But when you line them up against the star studed line up of the Bulls, one can't really blame me for thinking that it would be a decided outcome before the first whistle.

Apparently I'm having a lot of moments where I'm wrong.

The Sharks showed up to play. There wasn't any moment where the game was "won" but the Sharks were always present. The Bulls were playing hard - Bakkies Botha's 100th Super cap gave him a little extra spark in his normal antics. He's normally a bother at breakdowns and marginally late hits - but he does well to throw teams off. I would say that the biggest gap was the wing where the Sharks obviously targeted. In the end, the Sharks who gained momentum in the latter parts of the season measured up to the test against a waning Bulls side.

I was happy to see Pierre Spiess play up to his normal posture. He got around the field well. It will be interesting to see how the Bulls will shake down next year with Botha and Matfield both leaving...again, I'm stocking up for my post about the mass exodus of players from the southern hemisphere to Europe soon. Every time I think I'm caught up on who exactly is leaving there's a few more names that pop up. It's very disconcerting. I might actually have to start watching the Top 14 next year...boo - I hate European rugby.

Blues (33) vs. Highlanders (16)
This was a game that could have gone the same way as the Bulls and the Chiefs. The Blues have been playing like poo these last few weeks, dropping games like Luongo was dropping pucks. It was very worrisome as the Blues should have the depth and strength in their team to stand up against the better teams in the league. I don't know if they have the gumption to get into the semi-finals but next weekend will tell. They will face the Waratahs in the semi-final qualifier. I'm not a Tah fan - at all but next week's qualifier is between two teams who finished with the same points and both finished their season out week. Both the Blues and the Waratahs were quick out of the gates and faced injuries mid-season and some 'mis-communications' (?) on the field...I don't know how else to explain it. What do you call it when you have all the skill on the field and no way to finish? Oh, that's right - Canuck-syndrome.

[ Author's note: I don't actually dislike the Canucks...I'm actually quite neutral to the whole NHL thing. They just seem really, really easy to pick on...and hey - if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. ]

Chiefs (11) vs. Reds (19)
Not a surprise. Not one bit. The Reds are number one in the league for a reason. They've been consistent and they've fought hard. I do have the opinion that they will NEED Digby Ioane and Anthony Faingaa to win the tournament. But this game was just a formality if that. Sure, the Chiefs weren't blown out of the stadium but the Reds controlled the game and Duck and DeMelmanche were lame as normal. But I need to be fair to Duck - he made his first kick. He still tackles like a high school girl.

It is quite sad to see the poor turn out at the Chief's stadium for Mils Muliaina's last SuperXV game. Honestly people - he's given so much of himself to the Chief's club - he deserved better than what they gave him. And lastly - speedy recovery to Sventi Sivivatu who dislocated his shoulder so that he can represent his home country of Fiji in the RWC in September.

Stormers (44) vs. Cheetahs (34)
Okay - so not the game that you would think that I would talk about...You'd think that I would talk about AAC and Mat Giteau's last game with the Brumbies or the fact that the Force squeaked by without O'Conner in his last game with the Force. But I just want to bring light to the fact that the Cheetahs who basically have NO NAMES for players, ended up tied with the Chiefs and two points below the Hurricanes. My vote for biggest surprise of the season goes to the Cheetahs who gave the second seeded team a run for their money. This team has got the heart - now all they have to do is build the skill and the systems. Have a great summer Cheetahs and we'll see you next year when all the other teams' stars go trotting off to Europe and you stay 15 strong in your plain-jane players.

Rebels (24) vs. Force (27)

Waratahs (41) vs. Brumbies (7)

Crusaders (16) vs. Hurricanes (9)

I don't know what it means when the Hurricanes' season actually picked up when they came to a point where there was no mathematical way to make the playoffs. Tialata and Nonu are both done now and the Hurricanes - with the names are dead centre of the pack...have a chance without them? I think they will miss more than just the few token yellow cards that Ma'a Nonu gets. I am very interested in seeing how Aaron Cruden does in the All Black selections. I would love, love, LOVE to see him selected over Duck.

Well - that's all for the regular season. Next week it's the Crusaders vs. the Sharks (I'm more anxious about this than if they were playing the Bulls) and the Waratahs vs. the Blues. I'll post my predictions mid-week. My heart wants an all Kiwi final which will mean that the Crusaders and the Blues win their next two games. Wouldn't that be flash?

peace out for now. [ bear ]

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts