Semi-final Run Down

Well - here it is...the final two weeks of SuperXV! It comes down to the Blues vs. the Reds and the Crusaders vs. the Stormers. Two very epic battles - one I think will be more than the other. But let's look at the shake down...

Crusaders (listed first) vs. the Stormers. Stronger player of the match up is bolded.

1. Wyatt Crockett / Rynhardt Elstadt

2. Corey Flynn / Brok Harris
3. Owen Franks / Wicus Blaaw
4. Brad Thorn / Peter Grant
5. Sam Whitelock / Andres Bekker

6. George Whitelocks / Francois Louw
7. Richie McCaw / Schalk Berger
8. Kieran Read / Nick Foster

9. Andy Ellis / Dewaldt Duvenage
10. Dan Carter / Tiaan Liebenberg

11. Zac Guildford / Gio Aplon
12. Sonny Bill Williams / Jacque Fourie
13. Robbie Fruean / Jean de Villiers
14. Sean Maitland / Bryan Habana
15. Tom Marshall / Conrad Jantjies
16. Quentin MacDonald / Johann Sadie
17. Ben Franks / Juan de Jongh

18. Luke Romano / Steven Kitshoff
19. Matt Todd / Anton van Zyl
20. Kahn Fotuali'i / Schalk Brits
21. Matt Berquist / Deon Fourie
22. Ryan Crotty / Louis Schreuder

I had a hard time not picking who I liked more simply because I really don't like the Stormers. They might be a good team but it's like Kerry Precht trying to find players on the Vancouver Canucks that she actually likes. It's hard to do. Though de Villiers and Fourie are great players - I just have a hard time bolding their names. It's like I'm fundamentally opposed to admitting that they're better...and that's not saying that I do think that they're better. Fourie is good. He's a great runner and almost always receives the ball at pace. Same with Schalk Berger - seriously - the guy is a freight train. But I can't stand either of them. SBW has a big game ahead of him this week, that's for sure, and even more so - Fruean. I think the game might be decided in the mid-field. Schalk Berger is constantly hammering up through the backs and running off of 10 or
12. Defense for the Crusaders is going to be key. I wonder after the game last week if the Stormers aren't going to try and overturn some rucks just to get some counterattack ball. Habana is good but Sean Maitland was brilliant last week and let's be serious - I think Habana has had his day and he's getting close to making the permanent move to retirement or coaching.

Read is not playing on a completely great ankle but have no fear - Richie McCaw is back! His presence on the field alone will boost confidence and solidarity across the pitch. And as always I don't know if you can best Dan Carter and really - Zac Guildford has been near flawless lately. If he can pin his ears back and run - I don't know if even Habana could even catch him.

End result? Crusaders by 13.
Blues (listed first) vs. the Reds

1. Charlie Faumuina / Ben Daley
2. Keven Mealamu / Saia Faingaa
3. John Afoa / ??

4. Chris Lowrey / James Horwill
5. Ali Williams / Rob Simmons
6. Jerome Kaino / Liam Gill
7. Luke Braid / Scott Higginbotham
8. Peter Saili / Radike Samo
9. Alby Mathewson / Will Genia
10. Stephen Brett / Quade Cooper
11. Lachie Munro (or Rene Ranger) / Digby Ioane
12. Luke McAlister / Ben Tapuai
13. Bensen Stanley / Anthony Faingaa

14. Joe Rokocoko / Rod Davies
15. Jared Payne / Jono Lance
16. Tom McCartney / James Hansen
17. Tevita Mailau / Grey Holmes
18. James King (or Mat Luamanu) / Dom Shipperley
19. Daniel Braid / Will Chambers
20. Smylie / Adam Wallace

21. Lacie Munro (or Rene Ranger) / Dallan Murphy
22. Winston Stanley (or Sherwin Stowers) / Jake Shatz

Initially when I was typing in all the names I was thinking to myself that the Blues don't have a chance. But then as I went through the match ups (which might not be accurate because the Reds haven't officially released their line up yet) - there weren't as many holes as I originally thought. Having Rene Ranger back in the line will definitely help even though he hasn't been confirmed on the starting line up. Luke McAlister has to have the game of his SuperXV career because he's playing against the likes of Digby Ioane, Quade Cooper, and Anthony Faingaa. Those three are MASSIVE threats. I'm not a Cooper fan but the guy can dance like no other and Anthony Faingaa doesn't stop (not to mention that his legs are like ... oh, I don't know, as big as tree trunks?!?). Digby Ioane is back from getting knocked cold a couple of weeks ago so hopefully he hasn't come back too soon but if he's fit - he'll be taking everything that the Blues don't keep to themselves.

The pack is pretty even throughout. Mealamu is going to eat Faingaa for lunch - I will thoroughly enjoy watching that. S. Faingaa needs to sit down and take a good hard look at the work ethic and brilliance of his twin and start playing up to his level...then again - maybe he should just stop playing. Radike Samo is a beast - and I hope that they play him (I made an assumption based on how well he played in their last two games) but Jerome Kaino and Braid aren't to be counted out either.

I think this game will come down to kicking...which means the Blues will likely lose...which means my hopes of having an all New Zealand final will be smashed. Here it is: Reds by 18...and that hurts.

There should be some predictions surfacing tomorrow...I may update if they have a vastly different opinion than me. The Blues are seen as massive underdogs and we all know that I love me the underdogs - so just because on paper I think the Reds will win by 18 doesn't mean that I can't hope for the tides to be turned...right on Quade Cooper's butt.

peace out: [ bear ]

Comments

Popular Posts