love sick...sick of love

Oh Valentine's Day. How I love to hate you. I was the first among my friends at one point in the not-too-distant past to call it SAD (Singles Awareness Day) which more or less gave all of us "footloose and fancy free" people the right to have our own little exclusive shindig which had nothing to do with boys and girls getting together, nothing about chocolate, and absolutely nothing red in sight.

I'm sure it was just a feeble attempt to feel less pathetic and lame. I don't know if it actually helped. Then there was the phase when I just wore black all day and was a big grump. Not that that really proved anything either.

I have come to the conclusion that this is a super easy day to love and hate. And I don't actually think that it's a day that only singles hate. I think it's a day that a lot of people like and dislike for different reasons. I found myself rather annoyed and amused when my father wished me a Happy Valentines Day when he is more than aware that I'm not dating someone. Then it occurred to me that maybe I don't have to celebrate it for it's modern purposes.

If you're dating/married then it might be a stupid reason to spend more money on stuff you don't need or will make you fat...then again - it might be a good reason to do something for a loved one that doesn't often get much affirmation from you.

Or maybe you're single and it's a reminder that
you're alone (and maybe that's a good thing...our hearts get put through the ringer with or without the injection of love and relationship)...then again - it could be that better things are on their way to you...that there is hope.

Maybe it means nothing...then again - it might mean something and you just won't admit it.

Since today seems like a 'quotable' day - I have sniped some quote from friends' blogs (thanks Mike and Bee). They seemed to fit in with my ramblings about St. Valentine's Day.

"Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable." -- C.S. Lewis

"The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference." -- Elie Wiesel

I'm doing what I can today to be positive and not to dwell on anything too severe. I know that to love is to be vulnerable but I also think that there is a time to steel yourself and bare through the tougher times when there is not much else to be done. I don't consider this to be indifference though. It's courage. And on days like today - it can become courage under fire.

To finish, I've included Ben Lee's Gamble Everything for Love.
peace out,
.:bear:.


Comments

  1. I really liked the contrast between your V-Day post and Aimee's. It made me giggle, actually.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts