Super Sunday

Kicking seemed to be the flavour of the weekend as all the games unfolded. The winners were more often than not decided by which team had kickers who could put the pill through the sticks. I'm not a kicker so it's not fair to judge and if everybody is having issues - I guess the wind was tricky this week? I don't know. Morne Steyn didn't seem to have troubles in Napier - that's for sure. So I guess let's start there.

Hurricanes (14) vs. Bulls (26)
This was the largest point spread of all the ga
mes this weekend. And Morne Steyn scored 21 points of those 26. 5 kicks and 2 drop goals. Ridiculous - he really has a talent. The Hurricanes didn't play badly but they just don't have anybody that can kick. Kirkpatrick was horrible. You'd think you could get someone who could kick a ball through the uprights when you're pretty much 30 yards away in front of the posts. Even a CFLer or NFLer can do that. Nonu was...okay - solid. I still think that there's got to be a bit of performance showing up or he's going to receive some pretty hard judgement come the end of the season. And to say that all the big guns are taking it easy because of the monster seasons that will be required in 4 months is not legit when you have Dan Carter and SBW and Keven Mealaumu kicking butt every week. The other thing that was tough to watch were the high balls. Nobody was taking them - and Cory Jane is usually ALL over those. Something is missing there. Poor showing 'Canes, poor showing.

Blues (29) vs. Cheetahs (22)
A little part of me wants to cheer for the Cheetahs...and the Lions. Simply because they're s
howing up to games! They have very few big name players and they're putting everything on the line every single game - I just wish they could get results from it. I want them to be rewarded for their heart - just like the Brumbies and the Hurricanes are getting punished for their lack of intensity and commitment.

But boy oh boy - the injuries in this game were numerous. There were blood subs and ankle injuries and...the list is a little overwhelming. Tony Woodcock went off within 10 minutes with an ankle injury and the Blues already have players out with injuries and bah! I hope everybody is just getting it out of their system before RWC hits. I think I say this every week. And I'm a pretty big fan of Luke McAllister and well - okay, Stephen Brett. The Blues are pretty fantastic in general...but I still hold to the fact that Rene Ranger needs to cu
t off the fro. It's too much.

Rebels (26) vs. Western Force (25)

Again with a team that just needs a break. The Force - hit with another injury! Hodgson who took Pocock's place on as flanker is now out. Terrible luck, they have. But the Melbourne Rebels. First win on the road...and who thought they weren't going to get out of this season with a win? I can't remember if I actually had an opinion about this but they're sure rallying around the fact that they have nothing to lose. And I like that. I just really wish the Force could get a break. They would be so good if they could just keep players on the field. Poor Nathan Sharpe and James O'Conner must just be at wit's end with what to do with what is going on there.

Reds (win) vs. Lions (lose)
I don't actually remember the score of this game. I do know that the Reds were LOSING at half 11-0. Again - I wish that the Lions could have held it together but the Reds came back and took the win. Lucky, lucky. The captain of the Reds, James Slipper is going to be facing the SANZAR judicial hearing people this next week about an illegal dumptackle. You tell me...:
Illegal?

I think so - you're not going to get away with that one Mr. Slipper.

I have to say that I really like how the South Hemisphere deals with stuff like this (SANZAR - South African, New Zealand, Australian Judiciary Review Board). All games are reviewed and REGARDLESS of whether the officials call something in a game - you can get pinned for "bad behaviour" or dangerous play after the fact. It's kind of a Big Brother is watching you and just because you can get away with it in a game - doesn't mean that you will be able to completely get away with it. You can get suspended after the fact. I think it creates accountability and some responsibility to not just play to the referee but to the Board that is basically watching your every move. But this only works with dangerous play or player misconduct.

Have a great day...and stay safe on those roads.

Comments

Popular Posts