Blacks over Boks


I predicted the All Blacks over the Springboks by 35...apparently I was 2 points too optimistic. Maybe if the wind wasn't swirling so much or if Dan Carter's kicking was even one more conversion on - I would have been bang on...or four points short. But I'm okay with being wrong about this result.

The biggest result I wanted to see aside from the All Blacks winning was Cory Jane (14) having a good game. He was left out of the Fiji roster - partly due to a compound dislocation of his forth finger and partly due to the fact that the coaching staff are trying out all the combinations. Jane didn't have stellar SuperXV season...but really, who on the Hurricanes team did? Nonu, Weepu (has he ever had a good SuperXV season?), Tialata, Smith (okay - he was the only one with an excuse...broken jaw and all)...all of the them had crap 15 seasons. But that entire 'Canes side sucked butt...And with the coaching staff doing a clean sweep of the players and not resigning players like Nonu and yesterday, losing players like Weepu to the Blues - I don't see much light at the end of the tunnel for them...atleast not next year.

...Back to Jane. I really like him. #1 - he's hot. That counts for a lot in my books. Ultimately - I'm still a girl and I'm always in the search for the perfect rugby player and that has to include looks. For instance...Dan Carter is right now, the perfect rugby player. At one time - when Dan was still 21 - Jonny Wilkinson might have been the perfect rugby player but he obviously practiced kicking more than tackling because his tackling got him sidelined with injuries and then he just lost his edge...you don't get to be a perfect rugby player without an edge. Before Jonny Wilkinson there was Jonah Lomu...we all remember Jonah Lomu...the winger who subbed in for a prop. Can any player be more perfect than that? Not to mention that he ran over every single player on the English side in one run.

...Again, back to Jane. #2 - He's cheeky, he's got speed, he can read the field, and there may not be another player in the world that can work the high ball like him. Okay so that's like #3, #4, #5, and #6. In any case - he was back in black yesterday and he had a spectacular game. So did Mr. Perfect himself, Dan Carter (minus the kicking...but based on some of the high balls that doubled back on themselves, I've got to assume there was a swirling wind).

The backs were on - running and creating space. Though I don't know if you can praise them too much...the Springboks defense was terrible. I don't know how the Boks can go into these games with so many of their headliners on the sideline. I understand that you want to be able to see young talent and try new combinations...both Australia and New Zealand are doing that but they leave experience on the field - so that your new or unsure talent can play with combinations that are likely going to be running in September. I really question the Boks coaching staff...all they're doing is smashing what little confidence they have already. I would not be surprised if the team that Australia faces in two weeks is not a COMPLETELY different side as the one from yesterday. Players like Bismark duPlessis, Fourie, Habana, Aplon, Bakkies Botha, Victor Matfield, Pierre Spies, Janny duPlessis, and the Beast will all likely be back in the line up...and if they're not...well - I don't what I would say to that.

Well I'm going head off for now. I don't think I'll actually get into all the different players pushing for positions right now. I'll be mighty interested as these next few weeks go by which players start settling into positions. For instance...I'm actually a little surprised at how SBW is doing...or should I say...isn't doing. He had a mediocre (at best) showing in yesterday's game. If you don't show up these days - I don't know if you're going to be able to secure a jersey. Nonu had a great game. Strong in contact and ran really well in the line. He did his job - consistently and with strength. SBW has some work to do.

That's all for now...I'll talk to everybody soon!
[ bear -

Comments

Popular Posts