It's On

Oh man, I don't even know what to say about the battle that is about to take place on Friday (wee wee hours of the morning of Saturday). I know what I WANT. I have hardly been veiled about that. I want the Crusaders to win but the Reds have had a spectacular season. I really don't like Quade Cooper...at all. But one cannot dismiss what he does on the pitch.

When I look at the run down of the line ups I don't even know what to say. I really think that it may come down to which team is having a better day. The Crusaders are on the left with the Reds on the right side.

1. Wyatt Crockett / Ben Foley
2. Corey Flynn / Saia Faingaa
3. Owen Franks / ?? (Normally would be James Slipper but he's out...)
4. Brad Thorn / James Horwill
5. Sam Whitelock / ??

6. George Whitelocks / Scott Higginbotham
7. Richie McCaw / Beau Robinson
8. Kieran Read / Radike Samo

9. Andy Ellis / Will Genia
10. Dan Carter / Quade Cooper

11. Zac Guildford / Digby Ioane
12. Sonny Bill Williams / Ben Tapuai
13. Robbie Fruean / Anthony Faingaa
14. Sean Maitland / Rod Davies
15. Tom Marshall / Jono Lance


I think that the Crusaders' front row will have the Reds front row crying. I wouldn't be surprised if Saia Faingaa lost his temper and started throwing punches. He's not very good when being schooled. I have a big concerned about Will Genia. He's going to really test the Crusaders around the breakdown.

And about the matter of who the best number 10 in the world? Obviously I'm going to say Dan Carter. My rationale for that is that I don't think that Quade Cooper is a number 10. I think he's too much of an individual player. Whatever he makes happen is because he's just dancing around doing his goose step. A 10 is a play-maker...they organize the backs and set everything up. Whatever happens off of Quade Cooper is because he's got great backs that have learned to play second fiddle and run off a 10 who likes to have the spotlight. I'm not saying at all that Quade Cooper isn't good...he's very good. I just don't think you can slot him into the great 10s of the world. He's not stable enough. I think he will get there - he's young and has a brilliant career ahead of him.

I think that this will be one of the closest SuperXV finals in years. I'm frustrated at the New Zealand ref-bashing that is going on from Australia. I think it is unclassy and completely uncalled for. But what would a final be without politics and drama? Really though? Calling Richie McCaw, Wyatt Crockett, Owen Franks, and Conrad Smith (again, really? Smith is a centre!) serial infringers is a little below the belt. I think if you're doing it and not getting caught - then you're doing your job. What forward does try and push the limit a little? And to label all New Zealand referees as being blind to it? Hmmm - I think someone needs to talk to their therapist about letting go.

I guess I have to make a decision here...I'm going to say Crusaders by 13. I say that nervously but I truly believe that the Crusaders' experience will win out. I think it will be a high scoring game and there will be piles of opportunities. I think that one can expect the Reds to score a couple - get cocky and that the Crusaders will press consistently and persistently - exploiting the gaps that Cooper creates because he's barely ever playing his position. The Reds will not get the chances from missed touches and penalties like they got last week. The Blues found gaps in the back line. Yes, Rod Davies is fast - but so is Zac Guildford - I really, REALLY want to see a run off between those two. But Maitland? Even Marshall...Cooper can't cover all the holes and the Crusaders will make the Reds pay for whatever they do not cover. I think everyone is expecting the Reds to continue their conquest but they did not meet the Crusaders at full strength either time before.

Reds? I'd like you to meet the actual Crusaders. I hope you like what you see.

Comments

Popular Posts