The Dust Has settled

Well the experts placed the two semi-final games as being closer as they ended up being. On Thursday it was announced on the league's website that it was predicted that the Crusaders were to take their match by 5 and the Reds were to take theirs by 4. So we all predicted the same winners but I have to pat myself a little on the back for being a little closer to the money than the "experts". Here are the scores:

Crusaders (29) - Stormers (10)
My predictions were that the Crusaders w
ould take their game by 13 and the Reds by 18. I dare say that I felt a little stronger about the winning sides. I think all of us thought the Stormers would put up a better fight. They didn't hit the Crusader's backline hard enough - atleast I don't think they did. Andres Bekker is definitely the forward and possibly player that stood out to me. They just never fired completely as a team so the Crusaders just played a clinical game. I can just imagine how frustrating it would have been to be the Stormer's coach. What do you say to a team full of internationally capped players - who didn't turn up to sing? Schalk Burger who is always a freight train looked more like a caboose and then ended up not finishing the game because of a broken thumb (part way through the second half). And what was more confusing about that is that he didn't stay on the field for the finish! He's the CAPTAIN! I don't care if your career is over - it's a freaking broken thumb...you stay on the bench and support your team. Even the commentator made a comment as they showed Burger walking down the hall to the dressing room with his boots and socks already off that "Burger had turned his back on his team". Ouch.

And who gets subbed on for him? Schalk Brits. Mr. Controversy himself. SANZAR grant
ed the Stormers permission to bring Brits on as a back row sub (he's normally a hooker). He hasn't played the normally required 4 games for the Stormers to qualify to play for the Stormers because he was off in Europe playing for the Saracens. Well - I'm not a huge fan of money-players though I understand the opportunities and positives that have come from players playing in Europe but I think SANZAR made a crap decision granting the Stormers permission. The rules are set up to protect the playoffs from teams bringing in Ringers. He didn't do the time in the regular season - he shouldn't be allowed to step foot on a SuperXV field. He chose the money - he can buy tickets to the game. But his presence didn't change the outcome of the game.

Wyatt Crockett got man of the match. Good for him - good ol' prop. He and the rest of the pack just folded the Stormers over and over again. They won ball and set the Stormers back on their own. There's just so much (I'm a little biased though) that winning ball in the scrum can set your backs on fire. Set piece is such an integral part in the success of teams. Never underestimate it - never just go for winning your own ball.

There's not much more that one can say about the Crusaders' game. It was pretty much a smashfest. Again - subs subs subs. I think the fate of the Stormers was sealed at about 15minutes. It was great to see Richie McCaw play the full 80 minutes - that's a massive plus going into next weekend. It will be interesting to see if Andy Ellis is okay for next week however - Fotoali'i did a super job of filling in...I guess that's one advantage of testing the depth of your bench for the majority of the season as the Crusaders have had to do.

Reds (30) - Blues (13)
I said Reds by 18...I'd say 17 is pretty close. I wanted so much to have an all New Zealand final but obviously (by my predictions last week) I didn't think it was realistic. The Reds didn't have to be clinical against the Blues. Their backs are just like fire crackers. Quade Cooper has gotten showered with praise but seriously...Rod Davies is really the one that has owned this last weekend's win. Massive runs and so fast...like - as fast as Zac Guildford. If you look at setting the Reds' backs against the Blues backs and just talk about defense...Brett and McAlister just didn't have it in them to
stop Quade. And if they stopped Quade (usually both of them together) they left massive gaping holes either between 12/13 or 13/14 because the back would have to shift. Luke Braid was working overtime to cross-cover. WHY DIDN'T THEY START RENE RANGER? I wonder if the coaching staff won't be asking themselves that question for the next 9 months before the 2012 season starts.

With all that said (very doom and gloom) - the score wasn't as devastating as it felt. The loss wasn't because of lack of opportunity. It was more about looking a gift horse in the mouth. There were opportunities. The Blues had territory multiple times. At 55minutes the Blues were only trailing by one converted try. I think it was just tactical error after tactical error...usually involving kicking - kicking high balls in the Reds' 22 or kicking it out on the full or chip kicking it when you're in YOUR 22!! I'm not back...I might talk like I know what's going on back there (which I really don't) but I usually can pick out when and where you're supposed to kick...Blues - bad bad bad. Also bad? Saia Faingaa's throwing. He's a hot head who can't throw very well. They can't find someone better? But you know what? As much as I like to critisize Meathead...I'm cheering for Meathead (Corey Flynn) next weekend. I hope he grinds all that facial hair of his into Faingaa face.

Hi Rod Davies...Mr. 3 Tries in the Semi-Final...would you like to play for the Wallabies? Why yes, they would be crazy not to take you.

I think I'll leave my opinions about the final until mid-week. I'm hoping that I will have time to post them. And for all my non-rugby readers...I know you're still checking in hopes that ones of these days I won't be posting about rugby...after next weekend - a more regular schedule should be established...

I would like to give a shout out to my visitors from SA, NZ, and AUS! I hope you stick around for a while! And I'll check in on Wednesday - even if it's just for my predictions for next weekend. The Crusaders vs. the Reds. Should be worth watching.

peace out [ bear ]

Comments

Popular Posts