M2 - Bedouin Soundclash

What's up? Well - today wasn't a normal day for me so I decided to cover a not-so-conventional band today. Bedouin Soundclash have been around for quite a while but they don't fit into any boxes. And that's what I felt like today. My head was everywhere and I seemed to be hitting the "next" button on my music player far too much. Until, that is, Soundclash came up. There's something magnetic about them - something that is so different and so revolutionary (can I even say that?) that I always stop and listen to Jay Malinowski's unique voice and steel drums. The Caribbean meets the street kind of rock (but apparently not rock...it's "ska" instead...what does that even mean? Ska - pbbbbt!). Which is funny...because they're completed Canadian. The band is made up of Jay Malinowski (right) on vocals & guitar, Eon Sinclair (left) as the bassist, and Sekou Lumumba (centre) on drums. They've produced about four albums: Root Fire (2001), Sounding a Mosaic (2004), Street Gospels (2007), and Light the Horizon (2010).

I don't know if it was their appearance on Vans Warped Tour that got the Soundclash a lot of attention but it wasn't until early on in 2008 when I heard Walls Fall Down from their Street Gospels album that I really started paying attention. Even then, later in the year when I had the opportunity to go see them in concert I didn't feel I didn't I knew enough of their stuff to really appreciate a concert. I really regret that decision now. Now - I would go to a concert of an unknown artist just to appreciate musicianship. I think I view music differently now.

Since the Warped Tour, Bedouin Soundclash has shared the stage with the likes of Ben Harper,
Damian Marley (Bob's kid), and Burning Spear.

When the Night Feels My Song, Walls Fall Down, and 12:59 Lullaby (wait for it...yes, featured on Grey's Anatomy) have all been very popular songs with the public.

The release of "Light the Horizon" brought a little more mainstream sound (in my humble opi
nion) but the classic steel drum and guitar was still present. Perhaps it will reach more people

No One Moves, No One Gets Hurt, Get It The Way You Want, and Mountain Top have all been fantastic.

They also have their own record label called Pirates Blend Records...who knew?

And for whatever reason...it won't let me embed the video for When the Night Feels My Song. Have a great Monday.

Comments

Popular Posts