Jax - Day 1, Part II

Flagler College as seen from Castillo de San Marcos
Here we go with Part II of my first full day in Florida. I left off having successfully made it out of Jacksonville and an hour south to St. Augustine. My last pictures were from the bastions on top of Castillo de San Marcos. Above is also taken from the top of the bastions. To the southwest of the fort a red clay topped building could be seen. I hadn't really made plans for the day - more or less just meandering through St. Augustine. I had purchased a "train" ticket that allowed me to jump on these little red trains that would drive you throughout the town. There were moments where you could almost imagine that you weren't in North America anymore.
Those Americans are amazing!
I left the fort and walked through the 16th century city gates which led you straight down St. George Street. It was so cute. I could have spent days in that town wandering through the shops. And then there's things like the picture just above. Amazing! FROZEN...HOT chocolate! Talk about an oxymoron. I thought it was hilarious until I posted the pictures on Facebook and was informed that Second Cup has it too. We're officially just as dumb...or are we...it might just be the consumers who buy frozen hot chocolate...why don't they just call it a chocolate slurpee? Moving on...
Walking up to Flagler College
 I found my way to the heart of the city which is Flagler College. That amazing building that I could see from the Castillo. Can you ever imagine going to a college like that? I mean - I get that people who go to college in Europe probably don't think it's a big deal but seriously...how old is the University of Lethbridge? I can't imagine someone wandering around it's grounds in 400 years, marveling at it's architecture. And there...there are your palm trees. I did see them and it was sunny - though very, very windy. OH! And I saw two dolphins in the bay. Super!
At the Mission of Nombres de Dios
After Flagler college I hopped onto the little train again and rode it around the south end of the city. There were really interesting sounding museums that I would have loved to see but time was not on my side. I had spotted a massive cross when I was at the Castillo and needed to see it before I had to get out of dodge in order to miss rush hour in Jax. I hopped (there was a lot of hopping this day) into my Nissan Cube (it was gross but fun to drive for a day) and drove a few blocks from the Castillo...basically following the giant cross the whole way. The park was quiet and perfectly kept. I walked about a kilometer to the shore where the giant cross stood. In front of it (as you can see in the picture) was a statue of Nombre de Dios - the spanish dude (priest?) that founded the mission - the first mission in America. So this mission was set up BEFORE the landing of the pilgrams. The cross was erected in the 1900s in memory of all those who have continued in Nombre de Dios' footsteps.
Lady le Leche's shrine and mission
The picture above is not the original mission. But it stands on it. This mission has been rebuilt 3 times due to storm, fire, and earthquake. It also serves as a shrine and dedication to Lady le Leche who was the "mother" to the mission. The park all around this building had paths on it that you could take that walks you through Mary's Seven Woes. It was incredibly peaceful and at one point standing inside of this mission I had to take my shoes off - it was definitely a moment. I've never lit a candle for anyone but in that moment - a clear picture of a friend was in my mind. I lit the candle and stayed for a while in the quiet.
Spanish dude at the Fountain of Youth (where I fired the canon)
After leaving the Mission - I had one more stop to make before driving my way to the St. Augustine Outlet Mall (bad news bears). That one stop was...THE FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH!!! Yes folks, I found it. Well, apparently the First Nations (I know that they're not called that down there) had successfully convinced the Spaniards that their dashing good looks were due to a fresh water spring near the bay. I got as far as the bay where they had a live canon (this was the free part) that fires every hour. The guy doing the firing was about to light the fuse and I was the only one there so he suddenly looks up and was like..."Hey - I'm not really supposed to do this but...do you want to light the fuse?"

...um...Yes?

That's right - I've fired a REAL canon. Not one of those fake Pirate museum canons. Like a real one. Aw yea. But as it turns out - my Fountain of Youth experience would end there. I was too cheap to pay to see the Fountain or drink its water. I guess I'm just going to have to grow old.

So that basically was the end to Day 1 in Florida. Yes I went to the Outlet Mall - No I did not spend tons of money and I got back to my hotel just fine. I would say that it was a very successful first day in Florida...and it was only going to get better...

Comments

Popular Posts