M2 - The Return

It has been a long time coming hasn't it? Practically six months of straight rugby and I don't even know if people checking my blog these days will give a rip about music. Have no fear ruggers - I'll still make obnoxious and probably unfounded remarks about the Heineken Cup, European Championship, Guiness Premiership, and SuperXV on Saturdays. But I'm returning to my committed blogging patterns...Music, whatever, poetry, and well, of course rugby.

And so today...as you probably have noticed - is Monday. And in light of my recent trip to Jacksonville where I met an amazing line-dancing, evening dining, and most hilarious group of people - I must post on The Head and the Heart. Luke (President and founder of the AEP) and I sat up late one night when it was actually warm in Jax (contrary to popular belief) and discussed music and concerts and all things that falls in between.

Can we please make note of the one dude's beard? Do we remember my theory on folk music and beards? Check here and here if you don't.

Here's my favourite song (as of right now...but it's been changing daily for the last week)...Down in the Valley:


I don't know much about them...They're relatively new (2009)...The band's primaries are Josiah Johnson and Jonathan Russell but also includes Charity Rose (violin and vocals), Chris Zasche, Kenny Hensley (piano) and Tyler Williams (drums). They self-released their first and only album and have gained momentum since. Last year they toured extensively opening for based like Vampire Weekend, Dave Matthews, Deathcab For Cutie, Iron and Wine, The Decemberists, and The Low Anthem.

Those are some pretty significant bands. I just can't believe that they've flown under my radar for so long. I love their sound. There's something very...mature about their music, even familiar. The piano, the violin - they all play into the oldness of their music. At some points - and maybe I'm completely wrong - but something tastes of the Beatles (but less happy) or something like that...I don't even know. If someone figures out who they sound like - please enlighten me because it's driving me nuts.

Beyond my higher than normal levels of craziness - I love the heaviness of the percussion line and the harmonies. I love Charity's voice and the addition of the violin. Everything about them is beautiful and smooth. So officially - I'm on the trail of The Head and the Heart - and you should be too. Here's another one of their gooders from their album...

Comments

Popular Posts