Goodbye old friend

I don't post very often about my work at camp or horses. Though both are a large part of my life - horses less now than they used to be. My work at camp began as a cabin leader and a wrangler. I spent 4 years working with the horses and taking kids on outtrips into the mountains. Horses hold a special place in my life and though I don't take many opportunities to ride anymore - it does not mean that they hold less of a place in my heart. This Christmas season we said goodbye to one of our hard working horses at the camp. I've worked here long enough to know that we've been very blessed with a healthy herd where we've experienced very little loss. There are a few horses that have passed on that I have shed a tear for.

I think of Clyde, Ruby, Pete, Danny, and Harvey. Horses that have carried thousands of children who were scared to even touch them and were filled with wonder when these huge animals would take care of them during their trail ride. These horses, so simple and yet not. Each morning for months and months would take kids on rides with few complaints. Loyal and hard working, dependable and consistent. You could often trust them to do a better job than you.

Silly things like Clyde stopping midstride as a kid was about to get swiped off by a branch to back up and go around the tree. Ruby - as she taught people how to herd and use a bosal. Danny - he was here for 29 years until we finally gave him to a family who kept him as a pet for his final years. He would have worked to his final day here basically taking and returning trail rides on his own. Amazing creation. Harvey - I don't know how many kids I put on that horse knowing that they would not steer or stop him, they would never ask him to walk. He would be the one in control from the beginning to the end and I would trust him to carry those kids with care and he did, without fail. I feel like we are the lucky ones to have been given this time with these animals.


And so this Christmas we said goodbye to Duke (Clydesdale in the foreground) - one of our team horses. He was one of our gentle giants. And he will be missed, probably mostly by his partner, Diamond (in the background). 

Well done Duke - rest in peace.

Comments

  1. Anonymous9:30 PM

    i really like the point of view of the life down at the bard, never really knew it held such a place in your heart however i still think you in a cowboy hat and vest will always be a favorite outfit right beside your purple and black rugby duds and last but not least most every cool hat i see u kicking it in. im sure D will be missed..by MANY

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts