Super Weekends are Coming!

Well - it is that time of year again and next month the SuperXV league starts up and my weekend enjoyment goes way up. The format of the tournament is different...again. It's extended over a few more months because...well, there's no extra tournaments adding stuff to the pot. I found the players did a lot of shuffling since the last tournament - mostly because there's the opportunity to play in Europe without sacrificing their place on their national squad. It wasn't just our boys that were found shipping out. James Haskell has found his way onto New Zealand soil - we'll see how his European playing style pans out here. I'm predicting a lot of sin bins and black eyes.

Let's see what the teams are offering...

Highlanders
Ugh...These guys had a whale of a start last year but they couldn't sustain it. Riding the Nonu red card and a whooper of a steal against the Bulls does pretty good for a team's morale but a guy's gotta know the facts. A lack of depth does not bode well for finishing well. I think the Highlanders have a little of their own luck like my precious Edmonton Oilers. Heavy on the heart side...lacking on the luck side. No breaks. And to start off - Jarred Hoeata is the first unluck. He's going to miss the first weeks of the competition.

Acquiring the likes of hooker Andrew Hore, Hosea Gear, and James Haskell should certainly add some spice and bite to their offensive arsenal. Add them to the likes of Jimmy Cowan, Colin Slade (assuming that the curse of the groin muscle continues to bother him), Ben Smith, and Nasi Manu - just to name a few, and there's some strength there. But I come back to what I said first - depth people! It all comes down to depth. Sure - it's awesome to have the big names in the line up but we all know, especially from the more recently close calls that you can have the best players in the slot but you can't protect them from injuries. I don't see a lot of back up for the Highlanders' 15. I expect a marginally better finish than last year. Maybe even into first round? Maybe...? Naw - I wouldn't bet on it.

Hurricanes
Oh my my. How the mighty have fallen...well - maybe 'mighty' might be a bit of a stretch. But at the very least there was Nonu, Hore, Cruden and Dagg. I have serious concerns for Corey Jane and Conrad Smith. A heavy, heavy weight falls on their shoulders and there are few soldiers left to protect them. Victor Vito there and I think he will continue to rise as one of the dependables...I don't even know what means - he doesn't suck but there's something that is lacking there as a back row player. I need spice and I feel like Vito is a bit too much sugar.

I don't have much else to say about this. I fully expect Jane and Smith to find new homes by the end of the season...or die because Conrad Smith has to make 90% of the tackles and Jane suffers serious injury because the majority of their offensive runs are going to be up and unders with Jane taking flight. I really like CJ - I don't want him to die. I expect them to be in the bottom 5...or maybe the bottom 1. Sad face.

Crusaders
Is it a surprise that Dan Carter and Richie McCaw are not going to be suiting up for a couple months? It shouldn't. Richie played way too long on a serious injury and deserves the rest. Carter, well - I want to see him on top again so I'll wait for him to be better and not complain about his absence. And come on, it's not like the Crusaders didn't have to cut it without him, McCaw, and Maitland last year. They struggled but obviously beat the odds...but those odds will have to be beat without Sonny Bill Williams...which, well - it is and isn't a loss. Offensively - sure. He's brilliant and his off-loads are mind-numbing but his defense is just shy of terrible. It will be nice to see Robbie Fruean get some chances to hammer up the middle without standing in the shadow of SBW. And though Zac Guilford is fast - I can't lie when I say there's a bit of love lots with his acts of immaturity. I'm glad that he has to sit in the corner and think about his actions though I can't see him learning from them. Maybe he should just move to England where apparently - he'd fit right in!

Once the Crusaders are back to full strength - I predict that they will make it to the semis. I'm not holding out hope or predictions beyond that.


That's all for now folks. I'll finish up with the Blues and the Chiefs tomorrow...or...whenever I get to it. We have some time to cover all of our bases before things kick off in February. Happy Sunday everyone.

Comments

Popular Posts