M2 - City and Colour (Little Hell)

City and Colour...If I could explain how I feel about them in colours it actually would be similar to the colour scheme of their Little Hell album cover. Neutral, hot love, cool and apathetic, turn your nose up teal green. 

I fall in and out of love with City and Colour which is tough, I know. They have produced some of the best acoustic rock music Canada has ever seen. Which is why I find it hard to be hard on them - you know, cut them some slack already! They're very much like The Fray for me. They're bands that when I buy their album I'm completely obsessed with them and listen to them 24/7 without a break and then 4 months later I could care less if I ever listened to them again.

...until, that is, they come out with another album. And then the cycle starts all over again.

History wise - I don't really want to recap their two other albums - mostly because I think this one is Dallas Green's best collection. I think the most important fact I can leave here is the naming of City and Colour is actually a reference to Dallas' name. Dallas (City) and Green (Colour). So simple and yet - could any of us think of a better name? Dallas Green simple couldn't fathom naming a band after his own name. When something works like City and Colour - it works.
So - since that cycle seems to be back at the top where all is well with City and Colour - I'll let you know about their new album...Little Hell. It's a super-d-duper album. Almost all the way through I just love, LOVE it. Truth be told, I wasn't searching or anticipating it. I happened across somebody's status on twitter about it being the best ever and I was having an idle day while I was house-sitting which is never a good thing when you actually have the ability to download music from itunes and bam...I previewed and loved it. . Whoever invented itunes was a genius and one that probably never realized how much they would be exploiting people with no self-control when it comes to music...Or they were completely aware of the thousands of people who would be impulse buyers and capitalize on their lack of self-restraint.

Where was I? Right...downloading.

While the album was downloading I did some reading on City and Colour's website and watched a couple of their videos. If you like the song Fragile Bird - I don't really recommend watching the "not rated" video. It completely changes the song - atleast it did for me. I can't listen to the song without thinking of that video.

It's one of those albums that you put on while you're reading a book or staying in from the cold. It's an album that seems to be (atleast to me) written from a place where someone has journeyed from a low or a dark place to somewhere that hope was found again. Some of the songs like O'Sister speaks of encouragement that hope is found through the storm and that storms don't last forever. I love it.


On the deluxe album (has anybody noticed that this is a 'thing' these days? - Kind of like the Bonus Songs were a year or so ago) there's some live versions of some of the songs plus my favourite song of the album. Which is At the Bird's Foot. It's home album is actually called "Gasoline Rainbows" and is a compliations album to raise financial support for the oil spills in the Gulf. It's a spectacular song...right here:



So I'll leave you there on that song. I contemplated throwing up one more song (Silver and Gold) from Little Hell but I figured that those two songs would provide enough motivation to seek out one of Canada's best folk musicians (can we ever even imagine Dallas Green going back to Alexisonfire? Who even remembers him as Alexisonfire...and to think that City and Colour is his "side project"). 

Have a folking great day!
- I know, I'm so funny.

Comments

Popular Posts