Free the River!

It's true - I'm a bit of a tree hugger by nature. Which isn't really evident by my lifestyle sometimes. I drive...a lot. Mostly to get to church or to get to rugby. Which isn't really consistent with my tree huggerness. But I love nature. I love animals, trees, birds, and mega-fauna that could be hunting you at any given point. Whenever we cut trees down here - even if it's for safety reasons because the tree is dead, my heart breaks a bit. At one point a couple years ago five or six trees had to be taken out and I actually cried.

I love not being able to hear traffic or sirens. I love being able to see the mountains when I wake up and having adventures right out my back door. I also love the fact that my snowshoes hang by my door and if I wanted to snow shoe to work...I could! Even right now when almost the entire province of Alberta is brown because they don't have snow...I still do.

When I was a little girl - I used to pretend like I was the girl off of Dances With Wolves who had been saved by the Indians so that I could live off the land.

ANYWAYS - I just wanted to share this video with you as a source of encouragement. I know that most mountain people get ancy when there's any kind of development in the back country. We love the back country because there are no "front" country people there. And I use the term "we" very loosely because most of my true back country friends would call me front country. So can we just split the difference and call me middle country? Stuff like dams and roads really erk middle and back country people. We just need an arrow and a path and we'll get where we need to go. And we don't like people things that wreck nature. They're ugly and they kill ecosystems and habitats. This video should serve as an encouragement to press on in fighting for our parks and fighting for our Crown land - fighting to keep our land free and clear of development.

Year of the River from Andy Maser on Vimeo.


I love the fish in this video...I think we forget how important the world God created for us is and that we're doing a shoddy job at living on it and preserving it. I can't pretend like I'm a great river person but I do cherish our gift that is the Earth. So take a moment today and get outside - and maybe we'll all fight a little harder for it tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts